vmg2

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Tuesday 10 May 2016

Scottish Beasts !!!

Just a couple of things to update as I prepare. All I am up to at the moment is training by doing regular rides of between 25-50 miles.  I am not sure if doing really long rides is going to be of any great use as I want to be feeling really ready and full of energy and kind of in need of a really long bike ride by the time I head to Lands End.  Sometimes after a patch of no cycling you build up the desire to get on your bike and cycle until your legs drop off so I am trying to manage this until 19th June !

In researching the end to end I have heard mention many times about a mystical creature that lives near water along the west coast of Scotland !!!  Travellers have told of many instances of spotting them along the way. Some have never seen it but those that have tell stories that will make your hair stand on end and your nightmares will never quite be the same again.  I am not talking about the Jabberwocky, Medusa or the Loch Ness monster either !!!

I am talking about the most deadly, infectious, evil of beasts ever to be allowed to be called one of god's creatures..................

The Scottish Midge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


For anyone thinking of doing the end to end, seriously consider this and beware. Just google Scottish midges and you will see what I mean.  Do not underestimate them.  It is even said that the Scottish tourism  economy suffers quite badly because of the little blighters !!

I went for a full health scan on Monday (blood, heart ECG, cholesterol, etc) and the nurse told me all about a guy who did the ride last year and they had to admit him to hospital because of the midge bites he was so ill.



Don't panic though as there are some ways to help you.  One funny article recommended holding a citronella candle whilst riding but I don't think it would be a good idea myself. You would have to stop every mile to relight the damn thing. 

The best remedy I have found online is Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray with Jojoba & Citronella.  Trust me the online feedback is amazing.  The midges must really hate the stuff.  If it doesn't work I will be bitten to hell but have skin so soft I won't really care.




No comments:

Post a Comment