vmg2

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Saturday 18 June 2016

2

2 days until lift off.   



Last night I went on a test run on the bike fully loaded like a Buckaroo horse with all my kit and everything I will take along and it didn't exactly go as I would have liked.  About 7 miles out I heard a load pop and my tyre exploded.  Why is it always the rear tyre which is a real pain to replace with the chain attached !!!  Also learned a good lesson as I forgot with tri-bars on that it is virtually impossible to put your bike in the upside down position to replace a tube on the side of the road.  So I got to some grass in someones driveway and got it changed.  No problem but when checking the tyre I found the pop was the sound of a 1cm hole being made from the inner tube exploding inside the tyre !!   So today I need to buy new tyres,  not exactly what I had in mind for today !!

I managed to limp home and thank you to my angels for allowing this to happen now rather than in Cornwall on Monday morning.

What have I learned....  
  • Be prepared for the worst
  • Always carry at least 2 spare inner tubes
  • Practice a change of tyre and inner tube and get to know how to do it,  it is easy when you have done it before
  • Stay away from potholes/stones/wet spots, etc.
  • Check inside the tyre to see what caused the blow out
  • Do not over or under inflate  110 psi is OK !!!
Here is a great website with loads of top tips (GCN)

No comments:

Post a Comment