vmg2

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Sunday 12 June 2016

One week today !!!!

The time is nigh..  no more talking about doing the end to end. Now it is time to get on with the job.  I am obsessed with only one thought right now.  The weather forecast !!


So far it is looking like it could either rain, be sunny or be cloudy.  Thanks weather websites for making me feel at rest !!  The one thing I am more worried about though is the dreaded wind direction. Fingers crossed it is a South Westerly, which is the only real reason I chose to do le-jog rather than jog-le.  I also realised I have been saying the wrong thing all these years.  I thought a North Easterly wind was what I wanted but it is always from the direction the wind comes from not where its headed.  So sorry up there, for the last 6 months scrub that I prayed for a NE wind,  it is SW OK,  Thank you. Hope you can help.

P.S.  After I get to Bath please can you change it to a South wind all the way to John O Groats XX

P.P.S.  But not too strong... XXX


Apart from this final prep is focussed on getting my bike and kit all ready alongside the final few cycling sessions to keep my legs spinning. The weather is keeping me on and off the turbo indoor trainer though as I would hate to catch a cold now before the event, it is raining cats and dogs outside today.  

I tried to follow a strict regime of building up the riding to a large number of miles before I go but there really is no proper way to train for a long distance 8 day event.  I want to feel fresh and ready for riding not knackered from training like mad.  I have read you can only really get as fit as possible for this and then your body will adapt and get used to the day after day long distances while you are doing it.  Apparently Day 3 is the dark day but luckily that is the day I will be headed home to Ellesmere. 

Here is my training log to show what I have done...


My battle plan has kept me focussed pinned to my wall at HQ !!!


Bike booked in for a service tomorrow.

Plan is to do 20-30 miles a day this week (looks like the turbo will be red hot as weather forecast is bad)

Carb load as much as my belly can take (i.e. eats loads of pasta, rice and cakes)

When I get my bike back from it's beauty treatment and lubed up to glory I will start to load it up with the stuff I need.

Makes me remember a game I had as a child...



My plan is to keep it as minimal as possible but essential stuff has got to be packed.

So my list is...
  • 3 spare inner tubes, tyre levers & CO2 gas cartridges
  • Multi tool with chain splitter
  • Flip flops
  • Train tickets
  • contact lenses/glasses
  • phone & charger
  • Garmin charger
  • toothbrush/paste
  • Medical kit
  • Chamois cream
  • Midge cream
  • Ear plugs
  • Antibac & sun cream sachets
  • Debit card and £20 cash
  • Waterproof jacket & shoe covers
  • Food (gels/energy bars)
  • Spare pump to top up
  • Drink bottles x 2 and electrolytes
  • Rear lights x 3 !!
  • Phone has bike shops along way and route programmed in
  • Finally, top bar route to stick on bike like below pic...

I hope it is not too heavy but I have no choice and believe me if you knew what I usually pack for a holiday you would be amazed at how little I am actually taking along.  If I was going to Majorca for a week I would have looked something like this.




I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has donated so far, we are up to just over £750 net of gift aid which is amazing.  Thank you everyone so much. Please check this blog to see your personal thank you message.


No comments:

Post a Comment