vmg2

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Friday 11 March 2016

How do I get there & back again...

If you haven't already read Royston Wood's book or read his blog I strongly recommend it...

http://www.landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk/home

Loads of great tips and practical advice.

Anyway, how do I get down to the start ?

Planes, trains or automobiles ?


Flight is not a bad option but pricey and restrictive as I live in Shropshire. Car hire was also an option but many firms restrict the miles you can do in a day so a 520 mile trip home from JoG would cost more than a first class train ticket, plus you have to think about the petrol/diesel costs too on top. It is also hard to find firms that you can pick up a car in say Chester and drop it off in Lands End !! It is also not a good idea to drive when tired for obvious reasons. There are good firms that can get you and your bike from JoG to Inverness but I was quoted £200 with a mention that it could be discounted heavily if more book to share the cost. But I did not want to risk not meeting other end to enders needing a lift to the main city to share the cost. You can hire a bike box and ship it home from the JoG post office !!  You could have a friend to come and collect you (dream on)

Last resort if time is not a factor and you are feeling super fit after your challenge is cycle home.

Well, along with many end to enders I opted for a train. I worked out the trick is to book it 7-12 weeks before so I can buy an Advance Single for each journey and book on my bike too,  There is a limited number of bikes allowed on each train so it is best to get in early.

My travel date is Sunday 19th June so I have added the 24th March into my phones calendar to tell me to get onto www.thetrainline.com or www.nationalrail.co.uk to get looking for cheap deals. I need a Shrewsbury to Penzance train. If I get the one I hope to it will cost me around £52.  Coming back I need to start the hunt for the Wick to Crewe train 8 days later and if I get the one I am praying for it could cost me as little as £30, that is for a 500 mile 12 hour journey.  Unbelievable but true.  I will need to do a short 16-25 mile bike ride to and from each station which will be a nice little warm up/down. Penzance to LE is 11 miles. JoG to Wick is 16 miles. 



No comments:

Post a Comment