vmg2

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Thursday 24 March 2016

Things to take on a big bike ride...

OK, panic has now set in, I am 12 weeks away from the biggest challenge of my life. To ride solo from the lowest point to the highest point in the British Isles. a.k.a. Lands End to John O Groats, a.k.a. the End to End.

All in just over a week.

The thought of it is making me weak.

Researching again what I may need to take with me led me to make a list of everything from the essential to the downright ridiculous. So in the attempt of making you smile and come along with me on this journey by following this blog, here it is.....

When asked what some people took along on their longest bike rides, here are a few replies...

I was expecting people to pack a pump, spare tube, food, drink and tyre levers but some of the items that people take with them on every bike ride are a bit unusual.



Money (£10/£20 notes, coins not ideal) or debit card, phone, spare inner tube, pump, tyre levers, a couple of cable ties, a granola bar or Soreen cake and a multi-tool. Always wear the right clothing and be ready with a rain jacket if the forecast advises for it.

A sense of humour and imaginary friend.

A ball of hatred and bile. Normally, you wouldn’t think of them as items, but if you compress them enough, they take on a physical form. Nothing makes you faster than rage.

Disappointingly weak legs.



(I THINK THEY ARE MEN'S LEGS ? BUT I AM NOT 100% SURE !!)

£10 tucked inside my phone case with ID in case of emergency as well as tools, tube and drink. Pack a cereal bar if I get hungry on a short ride but more often than not munch it when I get home with a pint of squash!

A long trailing piece of string, so I can find my way back.



CO2 inflator and two cylinders, superglue and small piece of old tyre (emergency tyre repairs), two tyre levers, one inner tube (I ride tubeless so this is last resort), multi-tool and £10.

I never go anywhere without my tube of industrial-strength Anusol (other haemorrhoid creams are available). Of course, I don’t like to talk about it.

£10, a repair kit, banana, organic flapjack and drink. And a huge sense of wellbeing and joy for the countryside I’m riding through.



Driver’s licence and ATM/credit card wrapped inside paper money inside saddle bag. Inside left jersey pocket: two or three gel packets and chapstick/lip balm. Middle jersey pocket: a spare tube and energy bar or banana. Far right jersey pocket: a handkerchief or face cloth, Nunn or Gu tablets.

Less fitness and self-belief than I come home with.



A copy of The Sun newspaper in case I need to wipe my…

A GPS device, because if it’s not on Strava…




Pump, Garmin, shoes, clothes, glasses, drinks and some of rule #5.

Phone credit card spare tube, levers and multi tool, water, usually rain jacket and Mobius video cam with aux battery.




A rolled-up copy of Cycling Weekly, strawberry jam sandwich (white bread) and 10p for the call box in case it all goes wrong.

My girlfriend. Although in practice she sets off 10 minutes after me as she likes to chase me down. I’m not joking.

Some pebbles in my pockets to chuck at the clowns in the cars these days.

A Bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment